On behalf of the leadership, I want to say a very big ‘thank you’ to everyone who has given to the Angel Tree, and any and every other ‘mercy-ministry’ type activity in 2017. It’s great when we help those who either need it or benefit from our time, talents or treasures.
You might be wondering what ‘mercy ministries’ TGS is involved in, or how you might help in 2018 — because now is a great time to be reflecting and planning for next year about how you will use what God has given you. So, in no particular order, are some of the ways in which you can make a real difference people’s lives here and now —
- The Anglicare food trolley. This is an easy one: you simply place non-perishable food items in the trolley in the hall next to the Literature Table. Jodi Sariman then normally takes the food to Anglicare soon after and people in need are helped
- Serving morning tea at the DV Court; all it takes is some time and a smile, but can be a significant help to stressed and sad people. See Kaye Unwin to find out more about this;
- The Angel Tree — which you should have heard all about!
- Barnabas Fund helps vulnerable and persecuted Christians around the world e.g in Syria. They provide practical help such as temporary accommodation and food (& more). All of the donations to Sunday Night Church Café go to this, but of course you can give apart from that;
- Street Chaplains help those intoxicated or otherwise impaired in the city get to a taxi or their accommodation. Mella Beaumont is the TGS contact for this;
- ESL: Teaching English to those who speak it as a Second Language. Being able to speak better English is a real help to people. Mella’s also the contact for this.
- Of course there are many more ways you can help: there are many needs which people meet without others knowing about it. There are many people that you (can) help by giving them your time — a visit, a phone call, or a handwritten note.
Christmas is sometimes called ‘the season for giving’; well, let’s make 2018 a season for giving, as that will bring great pleasure to our loving God.
April 22, 2018
April 15, 2018
April 08, 2018