Helping Us Stand Firm Together
On Monday ten of us returned from the North Qld Christian Convention — and it was great! The two speakers (Mike Raiter and Dave Starling) both helped the Wills’, Truelove’s, Judy Nickles and Susan Lewis to stand firm in Christ. Dave Starling spoke on various New Testament passages while Mike Raiter spoke on parts of the book of Judges: both on the theme of Stand Firm. So I thought I’d share just a few of Dave’s wise words that can help us to Stand Firm in Christ:
From his first talk, on A Place to Stand (1 Corinthians 15):
- Why not just resign yourself to simply accept ‘how things are’, or be ‘comfortable’ in life? Because it’s worth it to stand firm (1 Cor. 15:58), and the results last;
- “The gospel is not just the door we go through but the rock on which we stand for all time”;
- We have a place to stand that is more solid than fads, comfort, pleasure and possessions. So we can give ourselves to God’s service. We each get to make a contribution.
From Dave’s talk on Armour to Stand In (Ephesians 6:10-20):
- The armour we need to use God himself has first used: he is the righteous one before we put on the breastplate of righteousness, and he has put on the helmet of salvation before we need to (Isaiah 59);
- When Paul talks about us having our “feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace” he’s got Isaiah 52 in mind. The picture isn’t of us huddling in a bunker away from the world but being involved.
So that is just a few snippets from two of the talks (but inadequate to really do justice to them) at NQCC. The weekend was very helpful to those who went … so I hope that you have in your calendars the inaugural TGS Women’s & Girls camp (September 12-13), and the annual TGS Men, Youth & Boys camp(both at Lake Tinaroo): because they all help us to Stand Firm in Christ.
September 15, 2019
September 08, 2019
September 01, 2019