‘Everything changes, everything stays the same’
In most weeks at the moment I’m meeting with five people to do the Truth Explored (TE) course with them. I think that this course is and will be a great help for each of us. A great thing about the course is that everyone who does it has a different story: a different history, experiences, and personality—so in that sense each group and each time through the course is different.
Of course, though, the course material is the same each time, because the truth does not change. Whilst the material can be ‘shaped’ to address particular issues group members might have, there is a core of material that we look at, things like—
- What is the meaning of life?
- Does the huge amount of suffering in the world disprove that God is loving and sovereign?
- Can we trust that the Bible is true?
- Do Jesus’ teachings, actions and character back up his claim that he is God?
- Why did Jesus have to die?
- Is it irrational to believe the Jesus came back to life?
- How can you get right with God?
- What are some of the blessings and costs of being a Christian?
Supplementing the very good TE booklet are books that can be borrowed or bought, like: ‘If I were God I’d end all the pain’ (John Dickson); The Case for Christ (Lee Strobel); A Fresh Start (John Chapman); and Know Why You Believe (Paul Little). If you might be interested in borrowing or buying any of these, please talk to me and I’ll try to direct you to a book most helpful for you.
So … while ‘everything changes’, the eternal message is: “… I want to remind you of the gospel I preach to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved …” 1 Corinthians 15:1
November 08, 2020
November 01, 2020
October 25, 2020