What is God like? What is His character? Who is He? Numerous places in the Bible describe God’s character, and some of them say, “God is …”. Here are some of them—
- “God is love”. 1 John 4:8, 16. God loves (says loving words and does loving deeds) because that is His very nature. So, it’s not ‘hard’ for God to be loving, it comes naturally to him because that is His nature. I’m sure you know this.
- God is gracious and compassionate. So, following on from No. 1 are verses like 2 Chronicles 30:9: “the LORD your God is gracious and compassionate.” Again and again and again and … in the Bible God could justly and fairly punished people for their sin, but He was kind instead. God’s love is shown so many times in Him not giving us what we deserve but instead giving us grace and mercy. Praise Him! … I’m sure you know this.
- God is light. God’s love is a holy and righteous love. For as John, the ‘love Apostle’ also says, “This is the message we have heard from him [God] and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.” (1 John 1:5) It’s notable that John mentions this 3 Chapters before he says that “God is love” – for God’s love is a holy love: He loves sinners despite their sin, and He can only have fellowship with us through the death of Jesus for our sins (verse 7). God is “light” i.e. He is totally and completely morally pure and good and righteous. God is absolutely good. Which lead onto 4. …
- “God is a consuming fire”, which is from Deuteronomy 4:24, and is quoted in Hebrews 12:29. In Hebrews the point is that because God is “a consuming fire” you and I should worship God “with reverence and awe” (verse 28). In Deuteronomy 4 the point is that because God has, by His grace, made us His people, we therefore should only worship and serve Him. To do otherwise is unfaithfulness and God is rightly upset and angry if we do that (like if a person’s spouse is unfaithful).
- Related to 4. is that our God is “God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome” (Deuteronomy 10:17). Therefore, we should be devoted to Him, and as people formerly ‘strangers and aliens’ to His mercy we should be merciful and kind to those needing help now e.g. widows and foreigners.
So, our amazing God is love, light, fire … & more! So let’s praise Him. Cameron