On this Launch Sunday it’s good for each of us to consider where we will head this year. So, here are 9 Questions for you and for us as a church —
1. What’s one thing you can do this year to increase your enjoyment of God?
This could be praying regularly for a person you love, reading some favourite Bible verses each week, making some favourite food and sharing some of it, enjoying fellowship by staying (or staying longer) at morning tea/supper on Sundays, reading a book(s) by your favourite (good) Christian author etc.
2. What’s an impossible prayer you can pray?
What situation/person won’t change apart from “But God” changing it/them? That tells you an ‘impossible’ prayer you can pray.
3. What’s the most important thing you could do to improve your family life?
This could ‘just’ be reading a few verses of the Bible together once a day (& possibly saying a simple prayer like, ‘God, help me to understand & live this out.’). Or, if you don’t live with family members, you could send them the verses or read them to them over the phone.
4. In which spiritual discipline do you most want to make progress this year?
This can be either on your own or with another (others). Once you decide what, decide what next step you’ll take and when.
5. What’s your single biggest time-waster, and how can you redeem the time?
Social media? TV? Hobbies? It’s easy for things like this to take up too much of our time and heart. What better thing could replace this wasted time?
6. What’s the most helpful way you could strengthen your church?
Serving? Giving? Praying? How can TGS be stronger in ‘23 because of you?
7. For whose salvation will you pray most fervently this year?
Two Sundays ago I asked you whose salvation you will pray for in ’23. Have you chosen yet, and are you praying each week for them and for opportunities to say at least something to them about Jesus?
8. What’s the most important way, by God’s grace, you will try to make this year different from last?
9. What single thing can you do this year that will matter most in ten years?
I encourage you to put this list where you will regularly see it (e.g. in your Calendar, recurring weekly). The full article can also be read at —https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/ten-questions-for-a-new-year