One of the mission agencies we partner with is Mission Aviation Fellowship, including our support of TGS members Neil Evans and David Pett (& numerous also support Fiona Stevenson in South Sudan).
- Neil works for MAF International, in I.T., so he helps, resources and supports good technology use by MAF staff around the world. So, you can ask Neil which countries the people he’s been communicating with this week are in!
- David is a trained pilot, who trains new pilots (flying out of the Mareeba airport) and at the MAF Cairns office (next to Cairns Central shopping centre) where he works as the Senior Standards Captain – Single-Engine Piston. What does that mean? Well, why not ask David! I’m sure he’d be happy to tell you in non-technical language what’s involved in that.
- Here are some amazing figures about MAF: every five and a half minutes one of the 116 MAF aircraft takes off or lands somewhere around the world, in the twenty-four countries MAF operates in. MAF flies into 1000 airstrips, more than any other passenger airline. MAF has 1300 staff members.
- MAF Australia is responsible for resourcing their ministry in: Mareeba, Arnhem Land, Papua New Guinea, South Sudan and Liberia.
- MAF provides flights for 1,400 aid, development, mission organisations and churches to enable them to transform lives. In many countries, planes are the only way to access many areas or access them in timely ways. MAF flies in basic needs, provides access to medical care and helps bring the gospel to remote and rural communities and people. Without MAF flights, many organisations, including numerous Christian missions could not do their job.
- The Mareeba base has both the heavy maintenance facility (since 2003) for planes in Arnhem Land, PNG and East Timor, and a Flight Training Centre (since 2015).
- MAF began in the USA, in 1945, while MAF Australia started just after, in 1947. So, it is a Mission with a history and track-record.
- So, whether it’s helping MAF deliver a well in South Sudan, helping kids get to school in Arnhem Land or a pilot using a Biblebox to share the gospel with someone in PNG, by praying for and encouraging Neil and David (& others) you are helping MAF serve God and many people around the world.
We are glad to partner with MAF, including Neil & David at TGS.